Keller Williams Family Reunion is in full force! Today I had the honor of facilitating a panel discussion on Smart Social Media Strategies with KW Social Media rockstars Liz Landry (the Landry Team, Jacksonville, FL) Sue Adler (The Sue Adler Team, Short Hills NJ) and Jay Papasan (Co - Author of several books including Soci@l, The Millionaire Real Estate Agent, and SHIFT).
They had some great Do's and Don'ts for making the most of social media.
Social Media DO's:
- Be yourself - your professional self - people are watching. If you can't be who you are, perhaps you should reconsider whether being on social media is right for you.
- Follow good etiquette -> Give more than you take.
- Be Present and Be Authentic.
- Be the connector - Introduce people who should know each other.
- Categorize your friends in to lists
- Keep your audience in mind. Use the custom privacy settings to post relevant content to relevant lists of friends (So the people in NJ don't have to see newsfeeds of your Ohio open house.)
- Give proper credit when re- posting information.
- Put your company affiliation where people can see it. Even if you aren't actively working it, people and other Realtors need to know you're in real estate.
- Time block so that you are Networking instead of Not Working.
- Read the e-book Soci@l
Social Media DON’TS
- Be negative - Do YOU want to follow someone who is negative?
- Blatantly/advertise on your profile. Your Facebook profile is not the place to post your listings. Posting listings and asking for business is sure way to get unfriended/unfollowed!
- Be 100% about business. Have fun with it. People want to connect with YOU.
- Post anything that you wouldn't feel comfortable sharing with your clients and colleagues. The Internet reveals all! ( Ask yourself - WWMD - What Would Mo Do?)
- Make it all about you. Be a giver and acknowledge other people.
- Spam people with group emails, event invites that aren't applicable, and request for apps like Farmville.
- Send friend requests without a personal message. (No, just because you work for KW doesn't mean I know who you are)
- Trade dollar productive activities for social marketing until you are generating business from it. Social media is an add-on until you are producing.
- Forget that this is a relationship building medium.