Real Estate Door Knocking Tips from a Mega Team

Knock knock. Who’s there? If you’re one of the 30,000 homeowners in Newmarket or Aurora, Canada, there’s a good chance it’s Tom Mitchell. Four times a week, Mitchell and the nine members of The Mitchell Team hit the streets. Their goal? Meet as many potential leads as possible. The tactic? Good ole door-knocking.TomMitchell_Real_Estate_DoorKnocking_Tips_Featured_Image

Mitchell’s first doorknocking experience dates back more than two decades. In 1990, just three years into his real estate career, the market tanked. As agents around him reacted to the bad news, Mitchell decided to give door-knocking a try because “I knew I had to be proactive about generating leads for my business.” Back in those days, Mitchell was knocking on as many as 250 doors a day followed by a round of cold calls. Eventually, he stopped door-knocking, relying on the hot market for regular business leads. Then 2007 hit. On top of the market shift, the Do Not Call list was enacted and Mitchell had to make a decision: take a hit or get back to brass tacks. He chose to hit the pavement once more to see if homeowners were open to the idea of letting him into their home. It worked.

“Cold phone calls only get you so far with a potential lead,” Mitchell explains. “Door-knocking opens up other opportunities that you just can’t achieve over the phone.” The first is the obvious face-to-face contact. The second and third opportunities, he explains, actually bank on no one being home. “If I don’t get to talk to someone, I leave my business card or one of our marketing pieces,” he says.

“They think ‘Wow, Tom was working in extreme heat or frigid cold.’ People remember that kind of thing and keep your card in a safe little spot until they’re ready to give me a call.”

Even with regular fliers and newspaper advertisements, the majority of the business comes from the daily doorknocking. The key to unlocking this lead generation strategy’s potential lies in several strategies.

Enlist the Right Training

For starters, they have all taken BOLD: the eight week training program by KW MAPS Coaching which encourages attendees to get out of the office and into the neighborhoods. Mitchell also attended BOLD Leadership. “It was an awesome way to get us all fired up about getting in front of people and asking for business.” New additions to the team can’t be shy about the face-to-face lead generation method either, and Mitchell makes sure they have the tools they need to be successful at it so they shadow him for two to three weeks before heading out on their own. Twice a week team members also participate in half-hour meetings to go over scripts and dialogues to maximize their daily door-knocking activities.

Get on the Ground

On an actual day out of the office, his team members knock on 100 to 150 doors. They let each other know which street they’re starting on through a simple text message, which Mitchell says “creates motivation and camaraderie.” At the end of their daily lead generation, they message each other again, but this time with their results. “They’re not just reporting back to me,” he says. “They report back to each other, which means everyone is more accountable.” And if someone gets a listing, “we make a really big deal about it!” Follow-up is important, too. One week after the initial door-knock, Mitchell and his team check in to make sure the lead’s information is right and ask if anything has changed in their situation.

They also call once a month in between emails, newsletters and an invitation to a monthly investment seminar.

Move Away from Fear and Get Your Foot in the Door

People are often shocked to hear how successful Mitchell is using the doorknocking strategy – it earned the $38.8 million in closed volumed for 2013. The initial fears of rejection are always a topic of conversation, but unless agents get out and try it, they’ll never get those leads. “I think some agents are scared and think people are going to be rude and yell in your face,” Mitchell explains. “People treat me with respect and are friendly – even the ones who are not interested are friendly!” Overnight success is also a common misconception. “Most agents try it for a month or six weeks and give up because there’s no immediate gratification, but it can take anywhere from two months to six months to see results.” That’s where Mitchell’s schedule comes in handy. “I do it on a four-day schedule with a weekly objective.” (He averages 600 over the course of four days.) He also says that the morning is the best time to start knocking, “so that you can maximize your energy level. You’re out in the fresh air, getting exercise and generating leads – it’s a triple whammy!”

Posted in Leads

16 comments on “Real Estate Door Knocking Tips from a Mega Team
  1. Tamera Bourne says:

Excellent, thanks!

2. Cameron Chamberlain says:

I just listed a new home I found door knocking.

3. Roy Cleeves says:

Well done Tom!

4. Karen Pressley says:

My husband got his first three listings by door knocking. It definitely works!

5. Ronda Gindin says:

I have been inspired to start the Door Knocking Round Rock Market Center Team! Join Me for 4 days a week door Knocking! We will meet at local coffee shops for the beginning of our session and return to our Market Center after 2 hours of door knocking. Our 1st Meeting will be at Star Co Coffee – Round Rock, TX on Wednesday 21st at 9:00 AM We will leave at 9:30 for door knocking and return to the Market Center by 12:00 Noon. Every Wednesday-Saturday until October 7th the end of BOLD. Be Bold with me!!!

6. Faye Bashar says:

Great Job! I’m also a door knocker and get good leads.. However I need to be more consistent and have a better system of following up.. Keep up the good work..

7. John @ OBHomes.com says:

A couple weeks ago, I listed 2 properties where the leads were generated via doorknocking. Last week, we opened escrow on both properties. Almost $2M in sales just from hitting the pavement…. so JUST DO IT! Honestly, I need to practice what I preach, as my inconsistency is my worst ally. The hardest part about doorknocking is getting to the first door. After that, it’s usually fun, educational, and can be very lucrative. My first recruit (brand new licensee @ 28 years old) signed on about 6 weeks ago, and I took him doorknocking with me ONE afternoon. He went out doorknock recently on his, and as a result, signed his first listing a few days ago. ($575K listing!)

I usually do late afternoons, but am going to give mornings a shot to see if I have more success. I certainly have more energy in the morning, so maybe I’d be most consistent. :) Aloha!

8. Leighann Russell says:

I love door knocking and have had great success! Would love to hear what items of value you leave when the owner is not home?

9. Clyerly says:

I’m a new agent… And want to utilize door knocking much more than cold calling. What type of marketing do you give/leave for people? I feel weird leaving a card or post card or flyer…. Any tips?

10. Clyerly says:

I’m a new agent and prefer to do more knocking than cold calling. Any tips on what marketing to give/leave? I feel weird about leaving a flyer, post card or business card. Will gladly accept advice!!

11. Wanda Williams says:

Hello, I love door knocking as I like meeting people. The last 3 listings I got came from door knocking … one was a FSBO and the other two were in neighborhoods I targeted because I had recently sold a house in the subdivision. I just received a referral also from one the people whose door I knocked on

12. I went doorknocking with this flyer and roll of blue tape (so not to leave the sticking mark and upset homeowners) I got 1 listing appt, and 3 potential sellers within next 6 months. The listing appt was for the daughter of the homeowner. Most people thanked me for the information and as I farm this area, some recognized my picture with the recent mailings.

13. Dawn Van Dyke says:

A lot of people have asked for scripts and suggestions. I would also love to see the scripts you were using. I was door knocking for about 6 months with little success. Got discouraged but may have to pick it up again when weather cools off.

14. Jackie O'Brien says:

Very interesting… Thanks for sharing this strategy. It makes perfect sense to me. When finding a real estate agent people want to ensure it’s someone they can trust, and what better way to establish this trust than going door to door and making those personal connections.

I specialize in Weston MA real estate, and will definitely be giving this a try come Spring time in New England. I’ll be sure to post back here and share some of my progress and feedback!

15. henry jon says:

Each time
    I used to always check blog posts within the first hours in the break of day,
    because I like to get information increasingly more.
    Iron doors

16. good article. And it does really work.

2 Pings/Trackbacks for "Real Estate Door Knocking Tips from a Mega Team"
  1. […] post Real Estate Door Knocking Tips from a Mega Team appeared first on KW […]

2. […] post Real Estate Door Knocking Tips from a Mega Team appeared first on KW […]